Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Darwin

Darwin Australia, April 9/2013 Closer to Indonesia than any other Australian city Darwin is the capital of the “Top End”, the remote vast Northern Territory home to more than half of the territories population, the city reflects the rugged endurance and individualism required to survive the Outback. Darwin has a colorful history in that it was bombed 64 times during world War 11 and it has survived many cyclones, the worst of which was on Xmas day, 1974. Man eating crocodiles, tropical monsoons, searing heat and bush fires that burn for weeks are part of everyday life. The ship docks to a beautiful sunrise and it is is already very hot. The air feels like you have just stepped into a sauna. I am not going to like this, not one bit is my first thought. It is a bigger more modern bustling city than I expected. At the dock there are several very nice shops. I am still trying without success to get Ken to buy an Aussie hat and they have some nice ones here. We are met by ladies selling shuttle bus tickets. The cost is $14.00 AU per person return. This is a lot for a trip of approximately a kilometer but in this searing heat we feel we have no choice. The shuttle drops us at the tourist bureau which we were told was right in the mall. I figured that would be fine… a nice air conditioned mall!! The tourist bureau was very nice with a wealth of information and very helpful people. There are lots of tour and excursions available. We find the prices are high, for example a one hour driving tour would cost us thirty dollars each. We roamed around the area for awhile. Their definition of a mall is an open area with lots of shops. It is not an enclosed mall like those in Canada. I am shocked that some of the shops are air conditioned and they leave the doors wide open. I am thinking… no wonder the prices are high!! You need high prices to pay the power bill. It is very interesting, with many different shops. At one point there is a man with a huge snake, actually 2 snakes and you could get your picture taken holding the snake for a cost of 10 dollars. We passed. There is a nice fountain in the middle of the area and several cafes. After a couple of hours the heat is taking its toll on me and I can feel my blood sugar heading low so we head back to the tourist bureau and the shuttle. I am so happy to return to our air conditioned stateroom. Ken put a thermometer in the shade on our terrace and it reads 40 C or 100 F This will not be on my list of places I would like to live. TOO HOT!!!

No comments: