Monday, March 11, 2013

Bora Bora, This an amazingly beautiful place. We woke around six to see a beautiful pink sunrise. Then we went topside to see the ship arrive at Bora Bora. It was so very beautiful, just as beautiful as all of the post cards. We had breakfast and took a tender into shore. .On shore there was a band playing local music and there was an area where local crafters displayed their goods . Not every booth was open because this is Sunday. I saw a man doing wonderful work with shells. It was almost like scrimshaw and I will go back to purchase a pendant from him on our return. I also saw wonderful black pearl pendants. Our tour was on an outrigger canoe. The canoe was painted a bright yellow and there was a roof to keep the sun off. The outrigger was also yellow and there were palm fronds decorating the boat. It was powered by a huge outboard motor. We had 2 native guides. One was particularly handsome; drop dead gorgeous would be the best description. He wore a necklace with 2 bores tusks and pearls. There was amazing tattoos as part of the decoration as well . He did not speak English but the other guide was very fluent and he was able to tell us all about what we were seeing as we circled the island in the canoe. They played ukuleles and sang native songs as we travelled. Our destination was a coral garden and a reef where we could pet sting rays and feed sharks… black tip small non man eating sharks. The rays are unbelievably soft when you touch them. I thought they would feel slimy but that was not the case. When we were given bread to feed the little fish they appeared by the hundreds. They were many many different colors and they were all around everyone getting the bread. It was an amazing experience. We were snorkeling and I was very very nervous. I was able to look under the water and experience the rays. But I did survive it even though I wasn’t the bravest person in the water...I really don’t think I will ever try it again, I am not a water person and I found it very stressful. The final part of the tour was circling the island. We saw hundreds of those iconic bungalows that stand in the water on stilts. We were told that renting them runs from a low of $1000.00 to a high of $4000.00 a night. They are unique but there is no way that I would consider them to be worth that cost. What do you think? I took a lot of pictures and Ken took dozens of pictures. I don’t think we were able to capture the beautiful colors of the water which ranged from a beautiful soft aqua to a royal. But much to our horror the camera was not working and we have nothing to prove I was actually in the water. I am so very disappointed. It also appears as if I left my snorkel in the canoe. So it was not my finest day. But it was wonderful and I am so glad that we went.

1 comment:

Carol said...

So glad you snorkelled and petted a ray!

Snorkelling does take practice but happy that Bora Bora proved to be so wonderful for you.

Hope you got your pendant!